We compiled a list of 20 books to read with children to celebrate Black History Month and discuss. Thank you to the children’s library staff at the Verona Public Library for discussion questions:
- How are the experiences in the books you read similar to your own?
- How are they different? Why?
- What feelings did you experience while reading?
- Why do you think that some people do not get treated the same because of what they look like?
- Have you seen someone treat people differently because of how they look?
- How would that make you feel?
- What can you do to fight for social justice?
- How do you think grownups can make changes so that when you grow up people with different skin tones will all be treated the same?
- If you read a picture book, which one was your favorite illustration?