Thank you for choosing Wisconsin Youth Company’s Wander Wisconsin Program!
Please note: Families are varied and the use of the word Parent(s) refers to the adult(s) who are responsible for the child(ren).
Please carefully review all tabs on this webpage prior to the first day of Wander. Additional information can be found in our program handbook.
Winter Wander Base Camp
- Elver Park Neighborhood Center, 1201 McKenna Blvd, Madison
Winter Wander Program Information
- Program Cell Phone | 608-445-2100
- Program Hours | 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
- Program Drop-off Hours | 8–8:30 a.m.
- Program Pick-up Hours | 4:30–5 p.m.
Snack and lunch
A morning and afternoon snack is provided daily. Campers should bring a nut-free sack lunch that does not require refrigeration or microwaving and water bottle daily. Lunch is not provided at any of the off-site locations.
All staff are current Wisconsin Youth Company employees working in After School program roles. They receive Winter Wander specific training prior to the start of the program and are certified in first aid and CPR. All staff receive additional training regarding health & wellness and cleaning & sanitation protocols.
Parent Contact Information
Program staff may need to contact you from program at phone numbers you provided during the registration process with questions or concerns, for this reason when phone numbers or pick-up arrangements change, please update this information with our administrative office. To update this information, or any other information regarding your child(ren) and your family, please send an email to email@example.com. This information cannot be updated via your Parent Portal.
Drop-off and Pick-up
Wander Wisconsin operates out of Elver Park Neighborhood Center, and uses contactless drop-off and pick-up for the entirety of the program. When you arrive to the program site, please head to the main building entrance (facing McKenna Blvd.) and call the site cell phone at 608-445-2100 to let staff know you have arrived. A WYC staff member will meet you at the door to welcome your camper(s) into program space. At the end of the day, please meet your camper(s) at the front door for pick-up.
- Campers spend the majority of the program time engaging in off-site activities. To help ensure timely departure from Wander Base Camp, please drop-off and pick-up during the set drop-off and pick-up times listed on the Welcome tab.
- Drop-off and pick-up from off-site locations is not recommended. If you have questions or concerns about the drop-off and pick-up times for any program day, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wisconsin Youth Company contracts with an outside school bus service for travel to off-site locations.
- Busses depart daily when all campers have arrived at Base Camp (depending on specific daily activities) and may arrive slightly after designated pick-up times. Your patience is appreciated
Daily Activities (each activity should be an accordion drop down with course description)
Monday, December 27 | Mackenzie Center
- To kick off our week, we go to the MacKenzie Center in Poynette for nature education and excitement. Programs are a mix of indoor and outdoor activities, depending on weather. Topics include outdoor skills, Wisconsin wildlife, and conservation all from a fun, hands–on perspective. Prepare for new experiences as we learn all about what our great state has to offer!
Tuesday, December 28 | Cave of the Mounds and Tyrol Basin
- For some respite from harsh WI winter, we will head deep into the Cave of the Mounds, where it is always 50 degrees. Explore a cave that is over one million years old and learn about all the speleothems that have formed there. Afterwards, we will head nearby for tubing at Tyrol Basin. Skiing and snowboarding will not be permitted on this trip. Be sure to hang on to your tube while you speed down a 900-foot hill as you race your friends!
Wednesday, December 29 | Milwaukee County Zoo
- To wrap up our winter adventure, we will head all the way to Milwaukee to the Milwaukee County Zoo. Learn how other animals around the globe survive the cold temperatures of their own environments and they adapt to Wisconsin’s winter months. Whatever your favorite animal, this is sure to be a wild good time.
All participants should come prepared to be outside. Please bring a coat, hat, gloves, snow pants, and boots daily. Please pack a water bottle and nut-free sack lunch daily. Campers should wear sturdy shoes for times not spent in boots. Participants may also wish to pack non-electronic items for longer bus rides during the program. Wisconsin Youth Company is not responsible for lost items.
Weather Related Modifications and Cancellations
If weather conditions (extreme cold or snow) prevent regular planned activities from occurring, an alternate activity will be provided. Please see below for a list of possible alternate activities. If weather conditions have the potential to cause a dangerous situation for staff or families, Winter Wander will not operate. Wisconsin Youth Company will do its best to notify families as soon as possible in the case that a program is cancelled. An announcement will be made via email and on our website. Families will also be notified of the cancellation via text message. There is no credit or fee reduction for days missed.
Possible Alternate Activities:
- Bowling at Schwoegler’s
- Movie at a local theater
- Indoor mini-golf at Vitense
- Winter disc golf or sledding at Elver Park
Site Cell Phone Number: 608-445-2100 | This number can be used to call or text Wisconsin Youth Company staff at your child(ren)’s location during program hours. Please note that staff are engaged with campers during program hours and may not be able to answer. Please leave a message and they will get back to you.
24-Hour Attendance Message Line: 608-276-9898 | Please call the message line when your child(ren) will be absent from program. All absences must be reported. Please leave a message regarding your child’s name, program and the date(s) of absence.
Administrative Office: 608-276-9782 ext. 0 | If you need immediate assistance, please contact our administrative office. Our administrative office can also assist you with your registration questions.
Wisconsin Youth Company Email: email@example.com | To communicate with our administrative or registration team or if you have questions regarding your account please send us an email.